Recommendations For Menus And Navigation
Keep pages separate from classes. This will not be obligatory, however I have discovered that it makes issues simpler to grasp for you and your guests. Pages are static content material that doesn’t change – issues like Home, About, and Contact Us. Categories are used to arrange your posts. When a reader clicks on a class menu, they’re taken to a listing of posts in that class. Grouping pages and posts in separate menus makes your web site navigation extra intuitive and simple to know. Since we haven’t created any pages but, we’ll arrange our class menu now, after which you’ll be able to come again later and arrange the pages menu.
Create A New Menu
Here are the steps to create a brand new menu.
- In the Blog Dashboard, choose Appearance->Menus.
- Select “create a brand new menu” on the high of the web page.
- Enter a reputation to your new menu within the Menu Name field.
- Click the Create Menu button.
Add Categories To The Menu
Now it’s time so as to add our classes to the menu that we simply created.
- Open the tab referred to as “Categories”.
- Within this tab, choose the “View All” hyperlinks to deliver up a listing of all of the classes.
- Select the classes that you simply need to add by clicking the test field subsequent to every class that you simply wish to embody within the menu.
- Click the “Add to Menu” button positioned on the backside of this tab so as to add chosen classes to your menu.
The very first thing you’re going to note if you add the classes to the menu is that the construction (classes / subcategories) will get misplaced. Everything is on the identical degree!
1. You can “drag and drop” the menu objects to rearrange them. You’ll have to ‘drag’ every subcategory to the precise till you see the dashed line transfer in. Then simply ‘drop’ it there. You may also reorder the menu objects up and all the way down to finest suite your wants.
Drag-and-drop refers to manipulating objects on a pc by utilizing the mouse.
Drag-and-drop objects by following these steps:
1. Move the mouse pointer till it’s instantly over the thing you wish to manipulate.
2. Hold down the left mouse button.
3. With the left mouse button held down, transfer the mouse to the place you wish to drop the article. Notice how the thing strikes together with your mouse pointer.
4. Drop the thing by letting up on the left mouse button.
2. Once you might have the menu objects organized the best way you need, click on the “Save Menu” button.
Set The Menu Location
If your theme helps customized menus (the BlogPress default theme does), this step is required to really make the menu seen in your blog. There are 2 locations throughout the Menu web page the place you’ll be able to set the menu location.
The first one is the “Manage Locations” tab on the high of the display screen.
- Click on the Manage Locations tab on the high of the Menus web page in your dashboard. (This tab is not going to be seen till you could have created no less than one menu.)
- You will see what number of customized menus your theme helps. (Most themes could have 1-2 menu areas to select from.)
- In the drop down field, choose the customized menu that you just want to show on this location. (For our instance choose “Category Menu” within the left sidebar location.)
- Click “Save Changes”
The second place to set the menu location is inside the menu editor itself.
- Scroll to the underside of the menu editor window.
- In the part titled “Theme places”, click on the examine field for the placement the place you need your menu to seem. (For the default theme, I advocate choosing the “secondary menu within the left sidebar”)
- Click “Save Menu” when you’ve made your choice.
NOTE: Menu places will differ by theme, so in the event you change themes, you might have to reactivate or transfer your menu to a brand new location.
Now you’ll be able to refresh your reside weblog to see the menu that we simply created. The high-degree classes can be displayed, after which whenever you hover your mouse over the class, the subcategories will grow to be seen. This is the conventional habits for many themes.